Tuesday 27 May 2008

Twenty Questions

Following the example of Sarah of NB Warrior, and on the suggestion of Andrew on Granny Buttons, here are my answers to Canal Boat's Twenty Questions:

1. What's your favourite canal? The Leicester Section of the Grand Union.
2. And your least-favourite?
I don't actively dislike any, but as a fan of locks I find the Northern Oxford slightly dull.
3. Who would be your ideal cruising companion? My partner Adrian. We make a good team.
4. What was the last book you read? Currently reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith. If we're talking waterways book, it would probably be the first Narrow Dog, but that was a while ago.
5. What's your favourite time of day on the waterways? A warm summer evening.
6. What irritates you most on the waterways? Inefficiency at locks. It's not about getting through quickly, but faffing about, wasting time, and wasting water really annoy me.
7. When would you most like to have lived? Now (but without having to go to work).
8. When did you last fall in? I haven't yet. But there's still time.
9. What did you want to be at 12? A journalist. So that worked out OK.
10. If I didn't have narrowboating I'd ... ? be very bored at work, as I wouldn't have dozens of blogs and websites to catch up with.
11. Narrowboaters are ... ? generally willing to talk to anyone.
12. After a day's cruising I most look forward to ... tomorrow's day's cruising.
13. The waterways need ... ? to be properly looked after.
14. If you met the Waterways Minister on the towpath, what would you say to him? The waterways are part of our heritage, so what are they doing in DEFRA?
15. Windows or portholes? Windows for the front half, portholes for the back.
16. Pumpout or cassette? Pump out.
17. Canals or rivers? Canals.
18. Where will you be when you are 70? Afloat (I hope).
19. What do you think is your greatest achievement in life? It's too early to say.
20. What would your superpower be? The ability to know what superpowers others have.

No comments: