Wednesday 22 October 2008

Weedon, Calcutt, and Little Venice

Sue from No Problem spotted Debdale at Weedon the other day, and I've taken the liberty of reposting her photo here. It's nice to know where Debdale is when we're not on board!

Yesterday was spent in the Calcutt area on the Grand Union, doing a boat test. It was a lovely sunny day (although very cold), but the towpath was much drier than it had been in August when we last did a test on that stretch of canal.

This morning, I was very early arriving in London for work so I stayed on the tube to Warwick Avenue, walked down to Little Venice, and had lunch in the sunshine. There were no moving boats about, but there were plenty moored down the Paddington Arm, including one called Iron Maiden and another with Ogden's Nut Gone Flake painted on the side. I'm sure another blogger spotted the same boat and mentioned it a while ago, but I can't remember who it was and (so far at least) a search has failed to find the post.

I got the tube to work from Paddington, which gave me the opportunity to try out the new Wood Lane station on the Hammersmith and City Line. It's right opposite work, and so avoids the schlep up from Shepherd's Bush to Television Centre. It's a very smart station. I wonder how long that will last!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did wonder whether you should publish a book/new blog called "where's Debdale" (as per the children's book "where's Wally". It could add a whole new dimension to waterways entertainment!
Sue, Indigo Dream

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

I think your link is misdirected - perhaps the apostrophe confused your software.

Did you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogdens'_Nut_Gone_Flake

I notice that entry refers to Stan seeing only half the moon - and I've recently seen the Whole of the Moon outside Sherborne Wharf - but that's another song

Adam said...

Thanks Paul, yes it may well have been the apostrophe causing problems, as I definitely started with the correct page! I've corrected it now -- had to go into the html to get the correct link to work!

Sue, Where's Debdale is a great idea. And the good thing is that it's as much of a surprise to me as anyone else!