Saturday 19 January 2008

Flickr account restored

Finally, after more than two weeks, my flickr account has been restored.


They've investigated the strange disappearance of my account, and have concluded that I was phished -- someone managed to get hold of my login details, and deleted the account. They knew this quite a while ago but managed to send their response to a non-existant email address, which explains why I had to open another query with them.

The good news is that my account has been restored and I still have my personalised flickr address. Also, because of their mistake and the resulting delay, they've given me a free six month extension to my pro account.

The bad news is that it's not possible to recover all my photos. Once they're deleted from flickr, they're gone. It's going to be a big job to upload them all again.

The moral of the story is not to allow yourself to get phished. In my case, what appears to have happened is that someone left a comment on a photo, with an invite to click on a link to see one of their photos. Clicking on the link in fact sends your login details to the other person. So if anyone posts a link as a comment on one of your flickr photos, DON'T CLICK ON IT!

No comments: